"Designed To Hide The Flaws"



Rewind nine years to (1996) when I was just an innocent babe in a 22year olds body of course! I was trying to hard at that time to keep up with my girlfriend Shelly Thomas…. (I’ll talk about her soon enough!) We were inseparable at times, I was her “Lie” for her mother and she was my escape from mine. Of course we had mutual friends, some she intruded me to and some I intruded her to. However one day of escaping would change my life FOREVER!
We of course were on one of our late night outings….did I mention she had a two year old son, who would often accompany us on these outings? His name was DeVante…sweetest little thing too. Anyway, we were invited to a “Hot Boys” meet up spot….let me explain. See in the summertime the boys are out full throttle, and looking good to I might add! They would hook up with their Motorcycle clubs, their Mustang clubs, and their Grand- am Clubs; out in the parking lots of places like McDonalds, Sears….and the ever popular White Castle parking lot! It was a mess! We were at one of the newest hang out spots, the parking lot of the newly remodeled Checkers Burger joint on 71st street, when I met HIM.

His name June (nickname of course) our eyes met and I don’t know about him…but I fell in Love with him that night. I know, Sad right? I know, I didn’t even know him, I barely even knew his name for Christ sakes! Well, that didn’t matter to me; all I knew was that (in my opinion) I met my soul mate that night. His friends seemed a bit shady to me, but I kept that to myself. I was brought there to meet someone else, a guy named Joel. I didn’t like him on first contact. Something about the way he looked at me mad my flesh crawl. Well, needless to say they all found Shelly to be as interesting as interesting gets. People always hung on her every word. She was magnetic. After a while we of course made our departure from the smelly burgers and stepped on ketchup packets, to the sanctuary of our respective bedrooms.
Question, why is it that you never get the one you want? I mean, it’s like this (purely my opinion only…wink) the guys that you don’t want, pester you to death (ie... calling, writing, buying gifts…etc.) And the guys that you want to do all those things don’t! Why is that? I have always wanted to know the answer to that question. I’ll saved that one for another book.
Remember that show... 30 Something? I loved that show! I really identified with Terry. She was me Personified. We were always looking for love, except we were looking in all the wrong places. Needless to say even at the end of that show, she was still single and so was I. Ironically when I was a fan of that show; I was not in my 30’s at all. Now here I am 31 and single as the day is long. Could this be my destiny to remain single for the rest of my life? I try not to think so, but things keep on happing to make me think otherwise.

Comments

Didi Roby said…
Sorry Diva...lmao. You know what's funny...That's one of my favorite pics...Are they getting started...or are they finishing up? That's question! Don't break her neck...maybe a finger or something(lol)
Anonymous said…
Damn It Dee-Dee, you told me you were over it :) I can't wait for the movie to that shit right there. Make sure you get Gary Dordan or somebody to play me.
Anonymous said…
That is really some good reading dee-dee...when is the book due on the stands?

Popular posts from this blog

Lifestyles Conversation...Take 1(Clack!)

Like a bad horror movie pt1